Store Prices Signs
Certain store signs relating to refund practices are illegal. Here are some examples of illegal signs:
- "No refunds"
- "No exchanges"
In some cases, your customers may be legally entitled to a full or part refund. To indicate otherwise is misleading and therefore illegal and you may be prosecuted and fined.
More appropriate signs would be:
- "Please choose carefully. No refund will be made if you change your mind after purchase."
- "Refunds or exchanges will be made if the product purchased is defective." Or counter feit.
Advertisements, sales promotions and dockets stating that you do not give refunds may also be illegal, unless they are qualified in some way.
You should also ensure that any signs placed in workshops, service departments or on invoices do not make statements such as these:
- "Repairs carried out at your own risk."
- "All care but no responsibility taken.""
- "No responsibility for loss or damage."
As you are the person holding your customers' goods, you may be liable if they are lost or damaged while in your possession.
A more appropriate sign might be:
- "We guarantee all our services for materials and workmanship."
Remember, any signs you display must not be misleading and must not misrepresent customers' refund or other rights that may be available to them under the Federal law.